Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Raw Food at "Ristorante Avanti" in Santa Cruz

It is surprising that a city as healthfully progressive as Santa Cruz has no raw food restaurants. (If they exist, please let me know because I couldn't find them.) There are, however, limitless options in the way of organic, vegetarian, and sustainable places to eat.


Ristorante Avanti is one of them. The epitome of sustainability, they get all of their ingredients from local growers. As I've experienced in restaurants with similar philosophies, I could clearly taste the difference in the fresh, organic food that hadn't traveled far to get to my plate.



The Greek Olive Mix was a savory, meaty start. From the delightfully extensive list of raw food options, I chose the Marinated Vegetables with Chevre and Pumpkin Seeds. I ordered it without the Chevre and it was delicious and satisfying, nonetheless. Bright green string beans and beets the color of yellow heirloom tomatoes stood out as especially tender and bursting with flavor. They must have spent a good amount of time in a marinade which surely included olive oil and kosher salt.  




As is becoming my habit when a raw dish is absolutely scrumptious, I ordered another one and we shared it at the table. 

Tomorrow I'll be looking for a restaurant with good raw prospects near the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Question: What clues help determine whether a restaurant will have good raw food?




No comments:

Post a Comment