Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

The Raw Food Challenge

Today is day one of my self-imposed challenge to eat only raw, living foods for one year.*  In a protein-packed nutshell, I'm taking on such a challenge for two reasons.  First, I want to see for myself if the human body does, as so many raw foodists claim**, thrive and flourish when purely infused with live enzymes, the literal stuff of life.  Second, I aim to show that it is possible to eat raw anywhere (restaurants, parties, the homes of others, abroad, and anywhere else humankind wanders), all the while giving no offense to the food choices of others.  


I expect that this journey will broach several important issues along the way.  A raw food diet sheds light on a myriad of health and nutrition information.  It raises issues around the cultural challenges of eating raw.  Lest I forget the joyous part, a raw food diet delivers an unmatchable abundance of delectable flavors, to be savored (or devoured!) in whatever moderation is desired.  Recipes will be forthcoming!


Here's to eating for health, pleasure, and well-being.  My first indulgence of flavor this morning will be a green juice.  Bon appétit




Question:  What is the longest amount of time you've eaten only raw food?



*Warning: Do not attempt an all-raw diet unless you have first prepared your body using a healthy detox transition program.  I liked Natalia Rose's book The Raw Food Detox Diet.   A nice summary of the book can be found here: http://www.everydiet.org/diet/raw-food-detox-diet.  It's available on Amazon: 


**http://greenforlife.com/,  http://renegadehealth.com/blog/


No comments:

Post a Comment