Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Adventures in Green Smoothies and Amazing Avocados at "Greens" Restaurant

Another beautiful morning in wine country made for our last before heading to the city. We were out of juicing ingredients so Bridget and I went off searching for a store-bought version of green juice or smoothies. 


A friendly fellow at Dean and Deluca said the freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juices hadn't arrived yet. So, we went to their coffee section where smoothies were listed on the big blackboard menu. Alas, they were pre-made with a dairy mix. Not exactly fresh, or raw. Determined, we went to their produce section and gathered red grapes, nectarines, strawberries, blueberries, and bananas. Then, we went to the deli counter and asked for a bunch of spinach. What this blended into was a beautiful and delicious green smoothie! 


The blenders themselves, seemingly accommodating baristas, made no attempt to hide that they were not happy with our unusual request, however, and told us this would not be a future option. 


The experience as a whole may have have been a little unpleasant if it weren't for the utterly charming and cheerful fellow who greeted us when we came in. I reflect on the notion that I've been pampered in this challenge thus far with very willing proprietors helping me get the fresh, unadulterated food I crave. And, since this is my fortunate case, I can be picky! Bridget and I agreed we would probably go back to Dean and Deluca only if they improved their customer service and started stocking organic versus conventional produce.


Driving toward San Francisco I searched online with happy anticipation for 'organic' and 'sustainable' restaurants. Greens came in at the top as a purveyor of organic, vegetarian food and employees with a zen slant.


The food and service were flawless. I had this appetizer of flavorful fruit (you really can tell when it's organic) followed by a salad that was so good I ended up ordering two. The California avocados were the best I've had all year.                                                                                     







No comments:

Post a Comment