Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sharing Raw Food with Friends

Cucumber Boats
Last night was a gleeful revelry in good friends and food. As people arrived I served them cucumber boats with a buttery Chardonnay. I cooked some whole wheat pasta but hardly any of it got eaten! The raw pasta (zucchini noodles sliced on a mandolin) with a raw marinara sauce and a raw pesto sauce was a hit, as was the dehydrated zucchini bread. We ate it with this colorful Italian salad.


Italian Salad
Zucchini Spice Bread
We have an abundance of fresh ingredients for the rest of the weekend. My friend Bridget had just received a big box of produce from her farmer's market subscription and didn't want it to go to waste. She had the brilliant idea of packing it in a cooler with wheels and a handle and carrying it on the plane. Another friend, Jacob, brought a cooler full of just-picked vegetables from his garden. We are fortunate to have all of these wholesome ingredients with which to experiment.


Fresh Produce from California
I used a lot of the fruit Bridget brought to make this breakfast platter, into which we dove after drinking a green juice.  




While we watch the game I'll be drumming up snack ideas (I'm thinking about a raw caprese salad) to go with the vegetable soup that's been marinating for two days in the refrigerator. I hope you, too, are partaking in healing relaxation and food. 


Raw Vegetable Soup
I have to say that I am surprised at how much everyone is loving and embracing the raw food. Raw food dishes are being chosen consistently over the cooked alternatives and everyone is talking about how flavorful and delicious everything is. This is exciting!


Question: What do you do to keep an abundance of fresh food from going to waste?

No comments:

Post a Comment