Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tasting Different Local Food: A Meal at "Press" Restaurant. Plus, Airport Food Comes Through in the Raw



I had a salad at an airport restaurant this afternoon.  The place was packed and I was a little worried when I saw nothing raw on the menu save for two salads heavily loaded with meat and dairy.  I was pleasantly surprised when the server took time and helped figure out a salad with only raw vegetables.  What came out was an almost all-inclusive garden salad of tomatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, guacamole, red onion, and olives.  It must have been all the vegetables in the kitchen!   My appetite was completely satiated as I polished off the last bite and ran to catch my plane. 


For dinner, the chef at Press in St. Helena, CA came up with a sophisticated raw entree of fresh vegetables and fruit.  Delicious greens with figs, zucchini, peppers, and apples that tasted like they had been marinated in heaven, finished off a thoroughly enjoyable first two courses: the freshest raw oysters on the half shell I've had in a long time, and an heirloom tomato salad that tasted like they had gone directly from vine to plate.  


























Having begun my raw food challenge 20 days ago, it's now good to be getting out and exploring raw food in other areas of the U.S.  I'm tasting nuances in local food that I never had when I was eating cooked food.  I'm that much closer to nature and the way food was meant to be eaten!  


I wish the same for you-- a Saturday full of fresh foods from a garden, farmer's market, produce section, favorite restaurant, or anywhere real food grows.  Bon appetit! 



No comments:

Post a Comment