Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Green Smoothies, Sashimi, and Getting Ready for Non-Raw Houseguests.



Yesterday morning I made a large batch of Green Smoothies with fresh peaches, plump red grapes, fuji apples, brown-flecked bananas and loads of fresh romaine and spinach. My three- year-old slurped down almost as much of it as I did. This was great because these smoothies were packed with calcium for his growing bones and, in my case, very good for staving off future osteoporosis.  A little while later I ate this huge cantaloupe.


Lunch was a rare treat of buttery salmon and super white tuna sashimi. By ordering sashimi instead of sushi I got the flavorful raw fish without the rice. Back in my rice-eating days I would have asked about a whole grain brown rice alternative to white rice. That way I would have avoided ingesting something my body would immediately turn into sugar. Instead, within the parameters of my happy new lifestyle, this indulgent meal of sashimi, kicked off with some seaweed salad, swiftly delivered protein, omegas, and B vitamins to my system.


Seaweed Salad
Sashimi Platter (I didn't eat the cooked shrimp or squid.)





Raw Vegetable Soup


Friends are coming for the long Labor Day weekend and I'm coming up with ideas of what to serve the non-raw foodies of the group. So far, I've made a raw vegetable soup that can be heated up if so desired. I've also peeled and soaked some almonds (almonds are easier to digest if their skins are removed) to make a large batch of fresh almond milk. I'll serve this with raw granola cereal to those who may not want a green juice or smoothie for breakfast. There will be lots of local organic berries, melons, and fruit for topping it off. 


For dinner I'm going to slice zucchini noodles on the mandolin to go with a  raw marinara sauce that can alternatively be heated and and served atop organic whole wheat pasta. To go with it: a hearty Italian salad and raw zucchini spice bread, fresh and warm out of the dehydrator :)


More pictures and recipes to come.  Until then, eat well and feel vibrant.


Question: Can sashimi (sushi without rice) be part of a healthy raw-food diet?





No comments:

Post a Comment